Darwyn Welsh Terrier Website

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Why so many re-homing requests?

I don't know what has been happening lately, but over the last couple of weeks I have had NUMEROUS requests from people asking me to re-home OTHER BREEDERS' Welsh Terriers.  I am really happy to help people find out about the breed (invite many to my home to "meet the breed"), to see if this is the right breed for them (and encourage them to look at other breeds, when this really isn't the breed for their situations), to provide education and mentorship, and to help match up people with Welsh Terriers, when the need arises.

If I ever place a puppy, or dog, in a home where things don't work out, I take the dog back or find a suitable home for it.

Obviously not all breeders do this.  What really irks me is that I seem to be the FIRST CALL that people are reaching out to.  Either they know that their dogs breeder has no interest in re-homing their dog (got their money and the rest is up to them, I guess), or they see that I am active in this breed that I love, so I must be able to help them out.  Well, I can ... and will ... and do.  But, you know what?  I have a life also.  I have my own dogs and I have my time that I give to people that have one of my dogs - or people that are going to get one of my dogs in the future.  I am not a public service, for everyone to turn to simply out of convenience, simply because they don't want to bother their own breeder.

Folks - if you need your Welsh Terrier re-homed, and it isn't one that I bred, please contact your breeder first.  They need to know, and the rest of us need to know who these people are that are selling puppies that have no intention of helping out their owners after they get your money.  So ... come to me, but come to me after you first contact your breeder and be prepared to tell me who your breeder is.  It just might help that breeder understand that some of their dogs are being rehomed by other people.

Lastly - I know that puppies are cute .... please think about how that puppy is going to be in a couple of years and whether or not this really is the right breed for you.  If you are not active, perhaps get another breed ... if you live in an apartment and work all day, perhaps get another breed.  Or - perhaps you would like a retired show dog - one that isn't quite as demanding on your attention.

For people reading this - if you have an interest in a slightly older Welsh Terrier (2 to 5 years old), there just might be one available for you to give a new lease on life ... just not one that I have bred, at least not at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, but please be nice - unpleasant or spam messages will be deleted.