Darwyn Welsh Terrier Website

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Annual Awards Day today - we have a great club!

We had a terrific day with people from our local terrier club (http://www.bcallterrier.com/) today - at our Annual Awards Day / Celebration / Social Gathering!

A tradition going back decades in the club, it's really a great way to connect with people in a fun and relaxed atmosphere - people that typically you are competing against in the show ring!

There were lot's of laughs about recent RV breakdown stories (mine was one of them - yikes!), club members that had gone to US specialties, Canadian shows, puppies, club members that had recently flown to Denmark for the World Show ... as well as lot's of non-doggie related discussion.  The weather could not have been better!  Last month it was unusually cool and wet (we called it June-Uary here), and then a couple of days ago it was so hot that heat records were being broken!  Today was warm, sunny and not at all humid.  Perfect!

Given that I am the President of the club I had the honour of distributing the HARDWARE (engraved medalians on nice trophies - tradition going back decades in the club) -- WHAT FUN!  I also got the opportunity to sign all of the award certificates, and awards for all of the new champions (Canadian and American) by club members ... we have a VERY active and SUCCESSFUL group of club members that's for sure!  And, you know what - that's great!  Strong competition makes for better breeding, presentation and overall quality.  A couple of weeks ago when I was down in S. California at a Terrier Specialty (Great Western) a handful of our club members took home the majors in their breeds, BOB and AOMs! 

We have a great group of people in our club... VERY competitive with quality dogs ... I am so proud.  :-) 

However, it made me realise that perhaps I should be doing just a bit more showing in CANADA and not just the US as my US wins DON'T count! I didn't get any of this terrific hardware! I have in the past, but not this year ... while Paisa was #1 Welsh Terrier in Canada, she was only shown for 2 weekends (not enough to crack our top terrier #s), and the boys, well, their focus was the US. Darn!

BUT - on the subject of showing in the US ... I was informed that JOE (Am/Can CH Darwyn's I'm Not Arguing That) BOTH yesterday and today was BOB (over the dog that Jorge is campaigning - Spyder, which is also the #1 in the breed currently) AND got a Group 3 today at the HUGE Ventura/Santa Barbara shows - also beating Eddie's Smooth Fox Terrier, which is the #2 Terrier in the US!  WOO HOO!  No hardware for me from my club - but 2 VERY nice wins for my boy Joe!  :-)

Here's a couple of candids that Michael took at Great Western 2 weeks ago of Joe (Am/Can CH Darwyn's I'm Not Arguing That) - with Wood Wornall, and one with him waiting with Andrew Peel.  I am SO proud of how Joe is maturing!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, but please be nice - unpleasant or spam messages will be deleted.